Home > About > Symbiosis
Symbiosis Institute of Foreign and Indian Languages
The Founder – President conferred “Padma Bhushan“ in 2012.
We feel happy and proud to inform you that the President of India Shrimati Pratibha DeviSingh Patil conferred the ‘Padma Bhushan’ award on Prof. Dr. S. B. Mujumdar, Founder and President, Symbiosis in the investiture held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on Thursday, March 22, 2012.
The Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian award, was declared in favour of Dr. S. B. Mujumdar by the President of India on Republic Day.
Dr. S. B. Mujumdar is a distinguished Academician and Educationist. He is the Founder and President of Symbiosis – a multi-lingual, multi-national and multi-disciplinary educational complex of international repute. He is also the Chancellor of the Symbiosis International University. In appreciation of his long and illustrious social contribution in the field of education, the President of India awarded the prestigious ‘Padma Shri’ to Dr. S. B. Mujumdar in 2005. Dr. Mujumdar was also awarded ‘Punyabhushan’ award in the year 2009 at the hands of Hon’ble Vice President Shri. Hamid Ansari.
The Story of Symbiosis
Founded by Dr. S. B. Mujumdar, Symbiosis flourishes by the Indian philosophy “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam,” which means, “the whole world is one family”. As a professor of Botany in Fergusson College, Pune, Dr. Mujumdar realized the enormous adjustment problems faced by the international students in their new environment. To lend a helping hand to students from abroad in their endeavour to achieve higher learning, Symbiosis International Educational Centre was established in 1971. Thus began the symbiotic relationship, which entails “ Living together for mutual benefit”.
Since then Symbiosis has grown from strength to strength. Today, the Symbiosis Society proudly runs 42 academic institutions ranging from kindergarten to postgraduate institutes and thousands of students from India and over 60 countries around the world pursue an education at the Symbiosis Institutes. The number of on-campus students is 60,000; while off-campus students are over 1,65,000.
Institutions under Symbiosis International University (SIU)
Symbiosis International University was awarded “A” grade by NAAC (National Assessment & Accreditation Centre, Bengaluru) on January 29,2009. Our score was 3.35 out of 4 which is held as a rare achievement.
The Government of India conferred upon Symbiosis International Educational and Cultural Centre (SIEC) the status of a University, under University Grants Commission on May 6, 2002, thus placing it among the top educational institutions in India.
Later, in 2005 it was renamed Symbiosis International University (SIU). Today it is at par with any Central or State University. A degree from Symbiosis International University enables students to apply for Postgraduate courses or Ph. D. programmes in any other Indian University or abroad. Symbiosis International University has under its umbrella 16 distinguished institutions.
- Symbiosis International Cultural Centre (1971)
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce (1983)
- Symbiosis Nursery School (SNS) (1983)
- Symbiosis Primary School (SPS) (1984)
- Symbiosis Society’s Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Museum & Memorial (1990)
- Symbiosis Secondary School (1991)
- Symbiosis SPA (1993)
- Symbiosis Centre of Health Care (SCHC) (1997)
- Symbiosis Society’s Vidhyavardhini High School, Harali, Dist. Kolhapur (1997)
- Symbiosis Society’s Kindergarten, Nashik (1999)
- Symbiosis School, Nashik (2000)
- Symbiosis Society’s Afro Asian Cultural Museum (2001)
- Symbiosis Institute of Teacher Education (2005)
- Symbiosis International School (2005)
- Symbiosis Open School (2006)
(Established under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 vide Notification No. F.9-12/2001 of the Government of India)
- English Language Teaching Institute of Symbiosis (ELTIS) (1972)
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS) (1977)
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM) (1978)
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research (SICSR) (1985)
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC) (1990)
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business (SIIB) (1992)
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies (SIMS) (1993)For Defence Personal & their dependants)
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development (SCMHRD) (1993)
- Symbiosis Institute of Telecom Management (SITM) (1996)
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology (SCIT) (1999)
- Symbiosis Institute of Foreign and Indian Languages (SIFIL) (2004)
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (SCMS) (Under Graduate) (2004)
- Symbiosis Institute of Geoinformatics (SIG) (2004)
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID) (2004)
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management (SIOM), Nashik (2005)
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS) (2005)
- Symbiosis College of Nursing (SCON) (2007)
- Symbiosis Institution of Business Management (SIBM) Bengaluru (2008)
- Symbiosis School of Economics (SSE) (2008)
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology (SIT) (2008)
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC-UG) (2009)
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC-UG), Bengaluru (2009)
- Symbiosis School of Banking Management (SSBM) (2010)
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS), (Noida), (2010)
- Symbiosis Centre of Management Studies (SCMS-UG), (Noida) (2010)
- Symbiosis School for Liberal Arts (SSLA) (2011)
- Symbiosis School of Photography (2011)
- Symbiosis School of Biomedical Sciences (SSBS) (2011)
- Symbiosis Institute of International Studies (SIIS) (2013)
- Symbiosis School of Planning and Architecture (SSPA) (2013)